Friday, March 23, 2007

Waxing nostalgic...

Well, it's smack in middle of chol hamoed, and I still haven't recuperated from all the food yet! Anyway, my brother and his family are in town for the holidays, so of course the good uncle (ahem!) spent some quality time with his neices and nephews...
First we went to the toy store to get their respective afikoman presents. Man, they didn't have half the shit they do today when I was a kid! And in detail too! When I was young, the toys were basically molded plastic that vaguely resembled my favorite superhero. Today, it's like they used stem cell research or something! And the stuff is expensive, too! You hafta pay outta your ass for the smallest Transformer toy (which brings me to another question: when did the 80's become retro?). And while we're on the subject of Transformers, they are so hard to work nowadays! Ages 5 and up my ass! You have to have a doctorate in nuclear science to turn a plastic robot into a dump truck! And you'd think that with today's youth's attention span as it is, they'd be simpler, but of course not!
After the toy store, we played in the snow for awhile. Yeah, we had about a foot of snow over the chag. Since I got back to Cleveland I've gone through 3 seasons already. The weather in Cleveland is as volatile as a neurotic 15 year old girl, so if your moving here, the reason better not be cuz you like el nino...
We watched a movie together. I wonder if I was ever like them? The kids had a nonstop dialogue the entire duration of the movie, either screaming suggestions at the main characters, or "explaining" to their fossil of an uncle what the hell was going on. But it was a good movie. I think....
All in all, it was a good day though. It's good to spend time with the young ones, and in the end, I had a good time. Hope everyone has a chag kosher v'sameach!
Originally posted Thursday, 28 April 2005

No comments: