Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Music update...

Hey, I've been keeping my finger on the music pulse, as usual. Recently I came upon three acts: one new, two old....
Red Hot Chili Peppers- Stadium Arcadium. The boys are all in fine form with this 28 track behemoth, but most notably, I'd say, is John Frusciante on guitar. The album is, in my opinion, as good as Bloodsugarsexmagik, and personally I feel it's more cohesive. Flea and Chad Williams are tight as ever, and these guys seem to have aged well. Very well. Makes By The Way seem like a bad dream....
Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam. Their eighth studio album, this eponymous endeavor just shows why they're still around. Eddie Vedder's gritty, angsty, but more importantly earnest voice is as familiar as an old friend, and their self awareness is astounding. Even their single, the politically charged Worldwide Suicide got me excited, and I hate when politics and music mix. Oh, and they even sound like they're having fun. I think that they have officially taken their place next to Mudhoney on the "seattle scene."
The new act that I heard has blown me away. His name is Yitzchak Moshe Jordan, but his stage name is Y Love. He's a convert to judaism, and he's putting out a hip hop album on the Modular Moods label. On his myspace page (www.myspace.com/ylove ) you can lsten to two of his tracks. Check his flow, yo....You can also check an amazing video on youtube.com ( the link's available on his myspace page).


By the way, anyone sick of the regular hip hop scene and is looking for a taste of old school mixed with the new drum and bass movement should check out www.rhymesayers.com. A growing label out of Minneapolis, they have hot acts like Atmosphere, Felt, and P.O.S. (of Doomtree fame). Check it out. I love their stuff.

Originally posted Friday, 9 June 2006

No comments: