Sunday, April 15, 2007

Fun in the sun...

Hey...



It's monday night, and I just put on socks for the first time since last week. Why? Because I went to the beach on Friday for a little down time and to chill out a bit.



My pals and I decided to go to Netanya, as opposed to Tel Aviv, because it's less crowded and it's nicer. We arrived at the beach at around eleven in the morning and set up shop. We really wanted to find a separate beach so as to allow for some seriously unadulterated chilling, sans distractions. The beach we went to wasn't, however, but even so, when we arrived it was pretty much empty. We walked down the beach about a half mile or so, and when we came upon a nice little area surrounded by rocks, we figured it was the ideal place. Add to the mix some ice cold brewskies and our respective music players, we were ready to lotion up and wind down. In the end, our neck of the beach was virtualy deserted for the five hours we spent there.



Being pale and freckled, I'm not supposed to be out in the sun too much, so as a caution, I layed on the lotion thick. However, in a act of idiocy I didn't put any on my feet, hence, I burned them really badly. Not only that, but in an act that requires talent, I manged to burn the bottom of my feet as well. Still, I had a great time.



Being from Cleveland, the beach isn't a place that I go to all that often, so the breathtaking beauty of a nice, pristine beach has a tremendous effect on me. But most of all, I loved the water. It wasn't too cold, wasn't too hot. It was just perfect temperature, and as a matter of fact, I kept looking around to see if there were any little kids floating around nearby, grinning mischevously. But there weren't, and I really enjoyed the water.



But the most important thing of that day came from the water itself. I was able to wonder at God's majesty as the waves crashed into me, actually causing me to stagger back, at times, and it got me thinking. Water is very malleable, very easy to manipulate. we can turn it into ice, we can turn into the vapor; it takes the form of whatever container it's in, etc. A few drops are harmless. But, when you take 10 gallons, 100 gallons, 1000 gallons - the force and sheer power it has is amazing! It can be used to produce electricity, it can cut swathes through mountains; it can cause mass destruction, wiping out cities at a time.



I realized that this is a fitting description of us. the jewish people. One jew alone can be influenced. You can mold him into anything; sadly, that goes either way. A jew can adapt and mold to whatever surrounding he is in, and can also be rendered ineffectual, isolated, harmless. But if you get ten jews ( a minyan) together, a hundred jews ( a congregation ) together, a thousand jews ( a nation ) together, and what happens? We're unstoppable! As a single, unified group, we can make amazing tikkun, and the result of our pooled strength, backed by God, naturally, knows no limit!



One Love, One Heart isn't just a good Marley song; it's a lesson for us as jews, a template that we can, and must reach, if we want Moshiach to come. If we want peace, we must act as a family, as a unit that works in perfect harmony, like an impeccably composed melody, where every piece fits together, and every piece plays it's role.



This is an ideal we can strive for, and it is possible. I bless us all that we find a way to connect with out brothers and sisters.



Peace.

Originally posted Tuesday, 13 June 2006

1 comment:

the dreamer said...

thanks for sending the link...

nice thoughts on the inyan of waves.