Monday, July 23, 2007

Rivers of Babylon 2007

This is a little sad, but I think it's appropos for the times.
I've been worrying about this for a long time. How can we properly mourn? How can we actually bring ourselves to tears, when most of us think we have it all?


I feel
so
numb
in the face
of my own
complacence

I'd gladly
fill my
mouth
with the
bitter taste of
ash
if it would show me
what it is
that we're missing

I try to
move myself
shake myself from this haze
at this point
even
dissociation from my
point of view
would be welcome...

Am I apathetic?
Or should I just
drop the "A"?
But in these times
I do not
I can not
possibly know
how to
mourn

When we think
we have
everything
how can we
honestly realize
we have nothing?

This is my
funeral dirge.
Not just for the
Holocausts
of the past
but for the
one
in the
present...


5 comments:

socialworker/frustrated mom said...

Beautiful thing to read today. I haven't been here since you changed your blog around, just read a few posts really inspiring and interesting stuff I shall be back thanks for visiting mine.

the dreamer said...

jewmaican - may i suggest that you watch "From the Ashes" - a new video presentation from Aish?
you may find that it all becomes a bit more relevant...

http://www.kiruv.com/FromTheAshes/

You can watch it streaming at the above site...

to tell you the truth, i agree with you in some way. but we DON'T have everything... just look around you...

oh, and what's with the "meditations" instead of comments?

Shmuel said...

SWFM - well, welcome back. No problem, and to be honest. I haven't checked yours in a while, either. Guess we're even...
Dreamer - Saw it yesterday during the fast. It's okay, but I didn't really like their use of the Holocaust to further their point. i understand it, but it could have been...I don't know, more tasteful.
I know we don't have everything, but if you look at world Jewry in general, and even at religious Jewry, sometimes you get that feeling, don't you?
Oh, and the meditations thing? Just trying something new...why? Don't like it?

the dreamer said...

i didn't like that part so much, either, but they did make some valid points...

oh, sure! i feel complacent many a time, but just when i'm feeling so, i hear another story, speak to another kid... and my heart starts breaking again... and it's almost impossible to feel like we have everything...

the meditations thing is... interesting...
:)

Shmuel said...

Dreamer, the problem is, is that everybody does have tzoros of some sort, but even so, not everyone's particular problem is there on a constant basis. What I mean by that is that despite all the hardships, we're all so much "better off", we sometimes forget that we're really in Golus...

The meditations thing is an expiriment. A lot of people's comments are really deep and thought provoking. Therefore, their comments aren't mere comments; they're meditations.