Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's starting to get really cold outside here in the Tri-State area, and I have always felt that some good music can get the juices flowing, and be a viable source of chizuk. Here's a small sampling of what I have playing lately on my iPod...


Bustan Abraham is a Middle Eastern ensemble that has had a rotation of members over the years, keeping their sound fresh and tight. Naor Carmi (who has recently been playing with Chilik Frank as part of the haLev v'haMaayan quartet) plays on this album.


What a beautiful rendition of a beautiful piyut. For some reason, I often find myself humming this niggun when going to the mikvah on erev Shabbos. Look at how intense the Rebbe was - vibrating with this quiet, pulsating energy waiting to burst forth...and when the levee breaks, he really gets into it.


Shivi Keller (aka Shirat Ha'Asavim or Ein Od Milvado) makes some of the most transcendent music that I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. If you're in the mood for an uplifting experience, Shivi's your man.


These guys are relatively new to the scene. I enjoy the music, but the rapping is kind of hit-or-miss. When the MC's flow is on, then he's great, but sometimes it just falls flat. Nagila is an old favorite of mine (I firmly believe that I was Sephardi in an earlier lifetime), and Shtar's version has some groovy bass to it...

No comments: