Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Active vs Passive

"Some day I will do it." - is self deceptive. 
"I want to do it." - is weak. 
"I am doing it." - that is the right way. - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk.
Something I read in Reb Micha's Aspaqlaria: Aseres Yemei Teshuvah reader yesterday evening resonated with me, and reminded me of the above aphorism. As he writes, as reflected elsewhere both within Torah as well as sources of non Jewish wisdom, we must be concerned with becoming, not just being; we have to be focused on the quest, the journey toward perfection, because the path we travel along is as much a part of the process as the goal at the end of the road.

And until we come to a point when we can say "I am traveling the path now," all our reflection, our introspection and plans toward a better life are merely abstract exercises that lull us into a false sense of purpose and accomplishment.

No comments: